Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How to deal with wife freaking out when taking small biz trips!?

My wife has always had a fairly extreme ';separation anxiety'; type disorder, and does not like to be alone.





Whenever I have to take a trip on my own--which is maybe only once or twice a year--she gets scared, mad, (why do you have to go?!/you never said you were going to go?!), etc. Unfortunately, for my own reasons I am kind of ';vulnerable'; to her reactions, and feel very uncomfortable myself when she is this way and try to avoid it.





I have a small (Sunday-Monday) trip scheduled in June, (I give a talk at a conference and meet some colleagues) and I can already feel the intensity building. On the one hand, I think I should just go head with the trip and ';deal'; with my wife's reactions; on the other hand, I think if it causes that much distress for her AND me, maybe I should just cancel it.





Advice? And if it's your opinion that I should just go--what are some strategies on making this a less intense, painful process? Thank you!How to deal with wife freaking out when taking small biz trips!?
A few comments - she should be more mature - how old is she? Two - you could take her with you - she could read a book in the room alone - 3) this would make you a co dependent. It doesn't hurt any relationship for a day or two apart especially when it comes to business. Good luck.How to deal with wife freaking out when taking small biz trips!?
I also have the same issues. I find it helpful to bring in family members to assist, or drop her off with family member while your gone. If family is not available, then drop her at the homeless shelter, she will find lots of company there.
Why doesn't she come with you? You can get a hotel together, and while you are giving your talk, she can be sight seeing. That way she is still ';with'; you.
invite her along... case solved.
i would not call that ';extreme separation anxiety';.. that is';extreme insecurity';..





unless you have done something in the past to warrant suspicion on your behalf, she needs professional help.








**ADD.. you need to go on your trip. it is business and that is it. this is her problem, do Not let it become your problem.. (i know easier said then done).





tell her you will call often and on your return home have her meet you at a nice restaurant.





if she says no, then you have done all that you can do, leave on time for your trip and be home on time from your trip. period.
I sound exactly like your wife...I get super worried or freaked out when my bf goes anywhere, even if its a family event which he has to go to ..but heres the thing, i just realized i cant stop him from doing these things...all it shows is how weak i am as a person and how weak our relationship is





The best thing my bf ever did was to say ';hey you know what, i have to go to these things, and if for some reason i cant call you,...whats the big deal? what are you so afraid of'; Once he said that, i told him exactly what i was afraid of ...that if hes not around me, he wont miss me, he'll forget about me, etc etc..He consoled me, and I felt alot better. Its still really hard at times, but when he does go somewhere and im able to go about my day, and not worry/ get anxious cause i havent heard from him ...well it makes me feel pretty good..Its a slow long road, but in the end , Im so glad he brought it up to me. ..Yeah sure, he can not go to these things, but eventually a time will come when he HAS to go , and what am i gonna do then? Might as wel start getting used to it ...Im telling you my personal experience and from that, i think the best thing you can do is talk to your wife, and ask her what she is scared of...Tell her she needs to stop being so worried/anxious ...its only going to make your relationship stronger if she works on this ....I think you should go, its a win - win in the long run. Your wife needs to get over this, or else she'll never be at peace mentally. ..Show her this msg if you want, cause i understand exactly what shes going through!
Can you take her with you? Maybe extend it by a day or two so you guys can have some time to do fun things? or....





Does she have any close friends or family that she can make plans with for the time that you're gone? People she trusts to keep her company? Then just call and check in with her as you need to.





I don't think you should have to cancel something that you do for work and that helps keep a roof over your heads and food on the table because of her anxiety. Has she tried or been to counseling for this? It's not natural and definitely not healthy for either of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment