Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How do I deal with my wife's depression and blaming me for everything?

My wife of eight years suffers from depression and has since the age of 13. she is 33. We have four children (one of whom is a teenager whose mother has not visited her in more than 5 years). my teenager is very manipulative and adds stress to my wife's depression. When my wife and I argue, it gets really nasty and she wants to blame me fore everything. She has been talking about divorce because she says she cannot deal with this lifstyle anymore. The only way she seems willing to make it work is if I admit to having the same ';problems'; she has. She claims that I am depressed and need help even though I have never suffered from depression. I know I am not perfect, but I am not willing to admit to having an illness just to please her. It will not work in the long run. We love each other and neither one of us wants to break up the family. Any positive advice would be helpful.How do I deal with my wife's depression and blaming me for everything?
Honestly, I see this as a need for marriage counseling. Your wife is suffering from a mental illness that should be treated, either by medication or therapy or both. In the meantime, she is not a psychologist nor is she a medical doctor and has no right diagnose you, not to mention she has no medical schooling for such a thing. Furthermore, I think she is projecting her issue onto you. You may be depressed but if you are it sounds to me like you are situationally depressed, not clinically. But, I'm not a doctor and don't have you as a patient in any case so I couldn't swear such a thing. The time for the counseling is RIGHT NOW though so make that appointment. If you cannot afford it then you would contact your county mental health agency and they likely have a sliding fee payment plan so don't feel like the option of counseling is not available to you.How do I deal with my wife's depression and blaming me for everything?
Pray to Jesus and He will deliver you out of this situation. Read the Bible.
Patience and prayer.
I suffered from severe depression and saw a psychiatrist regularly. It's definitely not an easy situation to wake up every day and not be happy for any particualr reason. It drains you both physically and psychologically. I'm better now thanks to counseling and antidepressant therapy. Perhaps you should suggest couples counseling to her. Then the counselor will help the two of you work through all of the issues that occurring that you are and are not aware of.





Good Luck and God Bless
Unfortunately the way you wife sees things are very real to her and is the only way she can deal with things. Just dealing with this type of behavior can cause you to become depressed as well. Don't laugh at your wife's observations of your mental state, living with someone who is mentally ill can take a toll on you. I suggest that you try to get couples counseling, however if your wife does not wish to go then you go by yourself. What it may take for your wife to see that she needs help is seeing that you are seeking it for yourself. I wish you the best of luck with this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment