Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How does a military wife deal?

I am a wife a military reservist. We have two kids, I work full time (a very demanding job keeping children safe) a house and family who lives over an hour away. He is has just been deployed to Iraq. He has been gone for a few months and I have been having a hard time dealing with this. I already sought counseling, enlist some friends to help me out. BUt I miss the everyday consistancy of having my husband with me every day. I have a busy day with work, busy evening with the kids. But my kids go to sleep at 8:00 and that is when I have a hard time. Its so hard for me to go out cuz of my small kids.





Please help me!How does a military wife deal?
you know honestly we all have our good days and bad days...you get into such a good routine then the military decides it's time for the husbands/wives to leave for a year and you have to adjust to life without them there...my kids are teenagers and they're at the age where hanging out with mom keeping her company isn't something they want to do so i get lonely esp in the evening...i would recommend that in the evenings maybe finding a hobbie you've been wanting to do...read...watch some tv shows that you normally don't get to watch...if all else fails there are tons of us military wives going through deployments online at times it does help to talk to someone that's going through the same thing...





since my husband is gone i've taken up sleeping with my huge stuffed animal he bought me while we were dating and our great dane(who's a huge bed hog)my family is about 20hrs away...my husband just left about a week ago for his 3rd deployment, our 2nd...so there are times when i wonder if i'm gonna go crazy but i always remind myself that there are other people out there that are going through this too...and we're not alone..if you need anything feel free to send me a message...How does a military wife deal?
My wife slept with our Alaskan Husky (90lbs, haha) every night. She had some good friends too. We were active duty though. Surely there are some other wives in the same town in the reserve unit you could set up some rotation schedules of daycare type stuff to give everyone a little break and some time for everyone to get together once in a while.
I don't know first hand but my brother is in the service so I know from watching his experience. try to stay busy. Use this time for me time. Or use it for scrap booking. He will love to see this when he gets home. Start a journal. You will not just stop missing him you Love him. This experience will show you how strong you are. Stay strong but move ahead he wouldn't want you hurting while hes over seas
Find a hobby and make stuff to send to your husband and his outfit. You could host card parties with other military wives to help pass the evenings.
We just do.





You are lucky that your family is only an hour away. A lot of us have family that are not even in the same state, none the less within driving distance. I can honestly say that when my husband is gone I live through the phone... phone calls keep me close to my husband, and phone calls keep me close to my family. And when it's dark at night, and completely quiet can be the hardest, but some how you just pass the minutes. The best military wives learn to cope by realizing what they have, a loving husband, supportive family, and a strong will.





Honestly, you shouldn't be going out. You have a family and your husband is deployed. It's just asking for trouble. Find something you enjoy that you can do at night. Something like photography and scrap booking will help your husband when he comes home, to make him feel like he experienced some of the memories he missed while he was away.





You will never find anything to replace the void that you feel while your husband is gone, nor should you. You just need to find something that can help you work toward when your husband does return, something that will pass the time but that will hopefully still have him in mind. You will find something that works for you. Best of luck.
I know it is hard. Believe me I do. I am a mother, wife and Active Duty military soldier. I know the struggles you are going through. My son goes to bed at 8pm as well. I don't know what to do with myself once he is in bed. I know for me the first 3 months were the hardest. I had to go to counseling for depression. I even got into trouble with the army. I am not going to say that it will get a whole lot easier. But it will lessen up a bit. The kids will get into a routine and so will you. I don't like to go shopping at the commissary with my son because he is 14 months old and the shopping carts on the way out can't accommodate a small child. So I go shopping while he is still at daycare. I am stationed in Louisiana and my closest relatives are a day's drive away (Maryland) so I know how you feel with the relatives. Even my husband's family is almost a day's drive away from me (Illinois) If you ever need someone to talk to about every day things then you can IM me. sunshine0621220. And I would be more than happy to help you through any troubles you are having (as far as I am able to help you)

No comments:

Post a Comment